The 70th Gian Battista Viotti International Music Competition 2019 is open to pianists of all nationalities who were born after 19 October 1988. First-prize winners of previous Viotti Piano Competitions are not eligible to compete.
1.2. Application Deadline
The application form completed in all its parts must be sent no later than 21 July 2019.
1.3. How to apply
1.3.1. Application online
Candidates can apply for the Viotti Competition by application online. They only need to register to the Viotti Music Competition internet site http://www.concorsoviotti.it and they will receive an email confirming the successful registration and containing a link to their personal page. Here the candidates can fill in the application form and attach documents and files.
1.3.2. Application submitted by post
It is also possible to send the application form by courier or by registered post to:
Segreteria del Concorso Internazionale di Musica Gian Battista Viotti
via Monte di Pietà n.39 – 13100 Vercelli, Italy
The postmark will be proof of posting.
1.4. Materials required
The application form must be sent together with:
- the application form filled in all its parts and signed by the candidate.
- a photocopy of the applicant’s passport or equivalent document that contains their name, nationality and birthday.
Application online. Upload formats: .jpeg or .pdf.
- A curriculum vitae in discursive form (max. 800 characters; please do not use accented letters in the online data field) containing details of musical and artistic education, performances and prizes won at other Competitions. Documents that are not written in Italian, English, German or French must be accompanied by a translation into one of the above four languages.
Application online. Upload formats: doc, docx, txt, .pdf.
- One or more recent artistic photographs free of copyright.
Application online: upload formats .jpeg files 300 dpi, longest side 10 cm.
- The musical program for the competition including the full title of the piece, Opus number, movements, approximate timings for each work.
- The digital recording for the preliminary selection (CD/DVD by post or .mp3, .mp4, .mpg, .avi files for the application online).
- The entrance fee. The entrance fee for the Competition, amounting to EUR 120, must be paid by bank transfer (all bank charges shall be borne by the applicant) to:
SOCIETÀ DEL QUARTETTO DI VERCELLI
Bank: BIVERBANCA, Cassa di Risparmio di Biella e Vercelli
Agenzia 2 di Vercelli, Piazza Cavour n. 1 – 13100 VERCELLI (Italia)
IBAN: IT 08 J 06090 10005 000056363073
NB: in the case of bank transfer from abroad please indicate the BIC code together with the IBAN code.
The applicants shall send to the Competition’s Office a copy of the proof of payment of the application fee. Failure to enclose such a receipt will invalidate the application. Under no circumstances will entrance fee be refunded.
Those candidates wthe hose application form is incomplete and whose entrance fee is unpaid within the set time limit should not be allowed to compete.
2. PRELIMINARY SELECTION
The preliminary selection to the Viotti Competition 2019 will be made by way of documents and a digital recording submitted by the applicants.
2.1. Recording for the preliminary selection
An unmodified digital recording must be submitted by all applicants.
2.2. Program of the preliminary selection
Recording must contain:
- The first movement or several movements including the first movement from one of the sonatas by Beethoven, J. Haydn or Mozart;
- An Etude by Chopin, Liszt, Debussy, Skriabin, Rachmaninov or Bartok.
Please note that the music chosen for the preliminary selection can be used for the program of the competition.
2.3. How to send
The digital recording must be sent as:
- Application online: uploading the video to YouTube (in the settings you can select “Unlisted” to allow viewing only to those who will be in possession of the internet address of the video). In the description you must indicate “Preselection Viotti Competition 2019”. Please, fill out the online form indicating the Internet address of the videos in the appropriate field.
- By post: DVD
The recording must be of excellent technical quality and preferably recorded professionally.
The applicants details must be clearly stated on the disk cover or in the description of the video in Youtube. In addition, the following data must be specified: recording date and complete program.
All pieces must be recorded on separate tracks (application sent by post).
The application package from foreign nations (except the European Union’s internal market) shall be sent as a material with no monetary value.
N.B.: The first and second prize winners of a Competition registered in the World Federation of International Music Competition of Geneva (WFIMC) will be admitted to the Competition without preliminary selection. In this case, the applicant should attach documentation.